WHICH GILI ISLAND IS THE RIGHT FOR YOU
There can be different reasons that bring you to the popular Gili Islands. Is it because you want to enjoy a wild party that seems to never end? Is diving with the turtles right up your alley? Are you dreaming of romantic walks on long quiet beaches? Located between Bali and Lombok Islands, Gili consists of three different islands with each of them having its own appeals.
The most modernized and visited one is Gili Trawangan. It has a large number of hotels, guesthouses, and other resorts to allow you enjoy the comfort of remote islands yet covered in city life atmosphere. The island has enough bars to keep even the most dedicated party enthusiasts happy. Many rooms in Gili Trawangan are available for cheap, but most of them are located in the village near the boat landing site.
• Best for: Gili Trawangan delivers the right blend of atmospheres for those who enjoy partying but still want to experience the existence of a get-away vacation.
• Not ideal for: backpackers who want to enjoy an actual solitary paradise.
In terms of accommodation and facilities, Gili Air is similar to Gili Trawangan. Equipped with diving schools and a lot of restaurants, Gili Air still remains peaceful and quiet. This island has the biggest population of native people, and while they have perfectly adapted to tourists, the community does an excellent job in preserving traditional and cultural life.
• Best for: Gili Air is the right choice if you long for the experience of mingling with local community backed with great assortments of accommodation.
• Not ideal for: If you hope to attend some wild parties, you are in the wrong island. J
The smallest island of the three is Gili Meno. The main attraction in this island is a stretch of beaches to give an excellent romantic atmosphere. A significant population of Sasak people resides in the island. They are hardworking people who are proud of their roots. As a matter of fact, the population’s passion to improve the community is a great attraction. There are enough accommodations options, but not as many as you can find in the other two islands. Compared to them, Gili Meno is the most family-friendly. There is no crowd and no party fuss. Beaches are safe for swimming and beginner’s diving and they have the perfect sand to build sand castles.
• Best for: Those who seek to get a romantic adventure in beaches of a remote island will find that Gili Meno is the place they will enjoy.
• Not ideal for: If quiet and laid-back environment make you fidgety, you will be better of on one of the other islands.
How to get there
There is quite a wide selection of fast boat operators, some offering more comfort to the travelers than others. The boats leave from several towns or locations in Bali. Pabadangi is one of the most convenient points of embarkation with the fast boats leaving daily – 3 times a day.
If you would like more information about the schedules, tickets and prices, have a look at our Bali Guide section.
Whichever of the Gili islands you choose, we wish you a great time.