Java’s Kawah Ijen volcano is one of several great volcanoes located in the 15 km diameter of Ijen caldera area in East Java, Indonesia. The caldera rim is still visible in places, but has been partially buried by Kawah Ijen, 2800m high Gunung Merapi (not to be confused with Merapi volcano near Yogyakarta), Gunung Rante and Gunung Pendil volcanoes famous for their turquoise colour. The active crater measuring 950 x 600 meter is known for its rich sulphur deposits which are being quarried.
Climb the Kawah Ijen. Feel like the sulphur collectors.
This tour will allow you to witness one of the most stunning natural beauties of East Java – the turquoise sulphur lake and unspoiled lush tropical forests.
DAY 1 – TRANSIT TO JAVA
We will leave by car from OK Divers Resort & Spa and head to Gilimanuk in West Bali to cross over to Java. An English speaking driver will be your assistant during the trip, and he will be happy to stop for you,if you want to take pictures along the way or take a break for lunch in one of the local restaurants along the way. We expect to arrive to Java and your hotel early in the evening, so that you have enough time to explore the area and have dinner.
Don’t stay up too late though, the next day will be packed with adventure.
DAY 2 – KAWAH IJEN TREK
We will wake you up at 4 AM (or 1 AM if you wish to witness the Blue Fire). It takes from 30 to 90 minutes to reach the trekking starting point, depending on the area where you will stay. We will pass through coffee and clove plantation that will tickle the nostrils, and then a dense tropical forest of Ijen National Park.
You will get a briefing and then a skilled guide will accompany you to the rim, it is about a 3km hike. Along the way, you will meet men carrying loads of sulphur weighing up to 80kg. These men have one of the hardest jobs there is, carrying sulphur up and down for about 7km every single day.
Our destination is the peak at 2 883 m above sea level, offering a breathtaking view and scenic panorama. Take your time to absorb the beauty around you.
Afterwards we will head back to the hotel for breakfast, shower and check-out. We will then slowly make our way back to Bali, with the expected arrival to Padangbai at around 6 PM.
Kawah Ijen Tour Intersting Facts:
- Kawah Ijen is located in the Banyuwangi area which has very diverse natural conditions – the Mars-like volcano crater, lush rainforests and even a coast with world-class surfing locations.
- The volcano itself belongs to the Baluran national park that inhabits more than 444 tree species and 26 species of mammals such as wild water buffaloes, muncak deer, mouse deer, leopards, and mangrove cats.
- Flora and fauna of Java island belongs among the richest in the world.
- 63% of the island is cultivated by humans.
- 55% percent of the local population are farmers.
- Rice fields cover 24% of island's area.
- When it comes to people, Java is very diverse and in fact, it is occupied by 60% of all ethnic groups in Indonesia.
- Besides the official Indonesian language, you can also hear here other original languages such as Javanese or Sundanese.
- The old Javanese language has 3 levels, selected according to how politely you want to speak.
- As you pass through Javanese villages, you will very likely see chickens freely walk around. They have long legs, are very skinny and originate from wild chicken.
What is included in the tour:
- Private car transfer in an air-conditioned car, Bali – Java - Bali
- English speaking driver
- 1 night in a standard room in a hotel in Java, including breakfast
- All entrance fees
- Trekking Guide
- Clinical face mask and torch
- Mineral water
- Ferry fares to cross to Java and back
What is not included:
- Room upgrade
- Personal expenses and gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Lunch & Dinner
Tour duration: 2 days, 1 night
Min number of pax: 2
For information about price, don’t hesitate to contact us.